Question

Lansence

Dec 10, 2020
Hello, I want to ask what should be the speed of the vps internet connection when I use the backblaze b2 cloud, the connection goes through a website or it is downloaded directly from the backblaze b2? 1GBps or 10GBps?

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
Hi,

It's through the website, there's no support for direct. If you use our Wasabi plugin that's now direct download.

Thanks,
Adam.

Lansence

Dec 10, 2020
wasabi is not suitable for using this service, here is an email from wasabi:
Hi Dominik,
thank you for your interest in wasabi,
I followed your conversations with George, if I understood correctly, your use will be associated with several downloads, this is what we call Egress for cloud storage.
Wasabi does not charge for egress, however our application is as follows, it is not allowed at wasabi to exceed per month the total capacity of the data you are storing. example: when you store 1TB, it is only allowed to make the download of 1TB/month.
we are not suitable for those who want to do streaming, unless you use other applications with wasabi.
Best,
Samia

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
That looks like it applies only to the egress policy, same bandwidth as storage. I don't think that's the only option they offer, in fact I'd be surprised if they only allowed a 1tb file to be downloaded once in a month. Seems rather restrictive.

Weve done a lot of testing recently with a single 40mb file and not hit such limits. We're charged for the bandwidth.

I think it would be worth clarifying the options with them.

jordan

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Feb 3, 2013
That looks like it applies only to the egress policy, same bandwidth as storage. I don't think that's the only option they offer, in fact I'd be surprised if they only allowed a 1tb file to be downloaded once in a month. Seems rather restrictive.

Weve done a lot of testing recently with a single 40mb file and not hit such limits. We're charged for the bandwidth.

I think it would be worth clarifying the options with them.
As I was looking into purchasing the wasabi plugin myself, I did some research.

It appears Wasabi does indeed only have two options.
The pay as you go which is $5.99 per TB of disk space.
Or the Reserved Capacity Storage which starts at $38,456.

With the pay as you go, you are indeed limited to the bandwidth used. Basically from my understanding is, if you currently have 1 TB diskspace used on their site you can only download 1TB of bandwidth in a month. If you have 5 TB of disk space, you can download 5TB of bandwidth. etc etc.

Heres a quote from their FAQ:
Wasabi’s free egress policy is designed for use cases where you store your data with Wasabi, you access this data at a reasonable rate, and your use case does not impose an unreasonable burden on our service. To better understand the definition of ‘reasonable rate’ and ‘unreasonable burden’ in this context, please consider these guidelines.

• If your monthly downloads (egress) are less than or equal to your active storage volume, then your storage use case is a good fit for Wasabi’s free egress policy.
  • If your monthly downloads (egress) are greater than your active storage volume, then your storage use case is not a good fit for Wasabi’s free egress policy.
For example, if you store 100 TB with Wasabi and download 100 TB or less within a monthly billing cycle, then your storage use case is a good fit for our free egress policy. If your monthly downloads exceed 100 TB, then your use case is not a good fit.

If your storage use case exceeds the guidelines of our free egress policy on a regular basis, we reserve the right to limit or suspend your service.
Unless I'm just not understanding it correctly.

I still may get the plugin nonetheless though to do some testing :)

Reactions: adam