version 3.3 technical & new features questions

shopping1782

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Reservo User
Sep 12, 2012
Hi Adam,
first of all - please allow me to thank you for continually working on script upgrades - I'm very pleased and I'd be happy to renew my support subscription.

I plan to upgrade to latest version (3.3) though as I have custom theme and it costs me a bit more to do it I have a few questions:

0) Is 3.3.1 coming out anytime soon? (I have healthy distrust to the round versions :) )
1) I looked up the upgrade instructions (_installation.txt) and all it says is this:
- Upload the /install/ folder and see the 'Perform an Upgrade to an existing install' option.
What is the offline folder good for? I'm currently running version 3.11 - do I have to use the offline folder manually or the auto installer does it all? (easy install like the WordPress)
2a) From the changelog:
Support for direct uploads and downloads to external file servers using the file uploader
(I looked up the demo site admin so part of this question I answered myself - only FTP server won't cut it as it also requires Apache to be run). Though how does this actually works? you have the example site running on http://fhscript.com, let's say that the configuration in admin is following:
Server Type: Remote Direct
File Server Domain Name: fileserver01.fhscript.com
Upload Script Path: /
(Shouldn't it be rather like /fileserver01 ? How does the generated URL look like? Or what this actually does?)
Server Storage Path: files/

What happens when a user opens http://fileserver01.fhscript.com in his web browser? Is he forwarded to the http://fhscript.com?

Is this connected with this feature? (from changelog):
- Cross site user login sessions. Run the script across domains, sharing the database, distributing the load & storage.
How does it actually works? How do I run the script on fhscript.RU (for Russian customers) and fhscript.DE (for German customers) using single database?

3) From the changelog/Release Notes:
- The core database layer has moved from using the old mysql_query functions to PDO. You will need to ensure you have the MySQL PDO module enabled before upgrading.
How do I check if I have PDO enabled?

4) Is there a how-to manual planned for the script to setup proper advanced configuration? I sure can go for try-error-try-success approach but I would rather to pay $30 for the manual where best practice is described than experience downtime on poor configuration or simply not have "best practice". Before this "direct downloads" and "Run the script across domains" upgrade it didn't make much sense but now I think this script is kinda powerful tool but I would like to know a bit more how to use it...

I could have emailed this to Adam, but I think community around this script would benefit from public Q&A.

P.S. It might be easier to understand these new features if you enabled some of this on your test site or created a "overview" video with text commentary (or spoken).

shopping1782

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Reservo User
Sep 12, 2012
wow :) that was quick - thanks yetisharemods

btw. yes - I do have support for PDO MySQL: http://bayimg.com/jANFKaAEP

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
Hi Jan,

Thanks for your comments. :) In response to your questions:

0) No plans for 3.3.1 at the moment.

1) The upgrade notes are in install/manual/upgrade.en.html. Open this in a browser to see it correctly formatted. There's no auto-upgrader at the moment so you need to apply the sql patches manually.

2a) It's so multiple site urls can share the same database. So you'd have the main site on say fhscript.com, then file servers on fs1.fhscript.com, fs2.fhscript.com etc. Any uploads sent to a file server have the url of fs1.fhscript.com/1s for example. All files are sent and stored via the file server, not the main site. It's designed to avoid having to route all the traffic via the main site and hence it's far more scalable.

4) I'd love to but it's a balance of code features vs comms/docs at the moment as we're just so busy with it all. :) I definitely want to get more support info online though. I like the idea of a video (as I always find them easier to understand than a load of text!) so I'll look at getting something like this done in the mean time.

Thanks,
Adam.