Strange behavior handling files

joelfcarvalho3427

YetiShare User
Jan 7, 2014
Hello.

I upload a file to "root". Then I edit the file and assign it to an existing folder. But the file doesn't move, it "duplicates" and now exists on both folders.
If I delete it either from the root or from the folder, it is deleted in both locations.
If I edit it from either folder or root, it shows it assignment to the folder and not the root.
If I edit it and move it to some other folder, it is removed from the previous folder and added to the new folder, but it still exists on the root.
If I upload directly to some folder not the root, it is added to both the folder and the root.
So if I upload 1000 files organized by folders, I get 2000 "files" being 1000 of them duplicates all mixed on the root.

This must be a bug.
Naturally, the site doesn't have to move the files literally, but the frontend must resemble that it does. If you move a file, the reference to it from the previous location must cease to exist. If you upload to a certain folder, you can't reference it to the root simultaneously.

If you fix it in a way that there's only one reference to each file at all time, all the mentioned situations will not happen and everything will be normal.

support3577

Feb 10, 2014
You right i just try and yes the file dont move only show the name in the folder as file but the real is only linked in that folder the file is not really in the folder so is wonly linked hmm this is a bugs but here you wont fiind support to fast but i hope to be any fixed

admin2102

YetiShare User
Jan 15, 2013
First of all if you upload a file its needs to go into a directory in your root called files which has to have read and write permissions set in it. You never want to place files in the root, for security and other obvious reasons. Now what I think you are talking about is if you upload a file then assign it to a folder it shows up in the file view in the main view and then again in the folder. This is not a bug the file is only uploaded to 1 place but it will show in both places but the file only shows the name in both places the file is not in 2 places only the name. Hope this helps

joelfcarvalho3427

YetiShare User
Jan 7, 2014
admin2102, it is a bug.
I'm talking about the Account Home where your files are listed and not the server itself where the files are hosted.
There is no file security risks here, no permissions to set, it is just an interface. The way files are displayed on the Account Home is completely different from the way it is actually stored on the server.

I know that what you see are only references to the real files, but this is wrong because the interface should resemble a basic structured file system, and it doesn't.
One file should only show up on the "folder" where you uploaded it to. If you move it, it should also show up only on the new "folder" where you moved it into. These are virtual folders, actually.

support3577, I'm sure someone from support will look into this soon. :)

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
Hi all,

This was indeed a bug which is now fixed for the next release due soon. The root node will now only show files which don't exist in other sub-folders. When a file is moved it no longer appears in the root.

More news soon about the release...

Thanks,
Adam.