reboots or package upgrades - what to do?

pilot830

YetiShare User
Jan 22, 2014
when there are upgrades like for mysql server package, due to some security vulnerability or even upgrades to nginx or apache, this requires a restart of the services, which is fine except if you have people streaming video already, when you restart certain services it kills their stream, right?

so how can i avoid a service interruption but still upgrade and restart services?

Only thing I can think of is..... I guess if all the files were mirrored to another server, then point all the traffic to that other server, and wait until theres hardly anyone still connected to the machine you need to reboot or restart services on, then restart the services

but thats pretty trouble some.. i guess there is no good way around it?

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
i dont think there is any other way around it, obviously if you have your main server replicated onto other server (not talking about your fileserver), it is easy to point your DNS to your backup server but if you are talking about rebooting your fileserver, i would wait to make sure all the traffic if on my new backup fileserver before i reboot it.
I don't have much video traffic so its easier for me, i can unlock the download speed for all the users so everybody can finish downloading and then gets pointed to the new server for any new requests.

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
You will replicate all content from one server to another on each apache restart? That's madness. The client should be able to resume the download/stream.

On nginx you can use reload instead of restart. It will read the new configs but the old processes will keep running to server the current requests.

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
i said it because i have a backup server anyways that rsyncs every night so its easier.
you can reload in apache as well.