Media Converter Screenshot - Setting to % duration instead of # of seconds

filegasm

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Like the title says, I'd like to know of a way to configure the Media Converter Plugin to get the screenshot based from the percentage of the video's total duration (e.g. 50%), instead of having an absolute number of seconds (e.g. 15 seconds).

Is there a way for the convert.php to read and know the the video's total duration with/without encoding it

define("SCREENSHOT_SECONDS", '24'); <--- change this to percentage of video duration instead
define("SCREENSHOT_ONLY", true); <--- no conversion of video/audio to happen

paypal1352

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Mar 2, 2012
i think this will work

$file=$(ffmpeg -i $localFile 2>&1)
$duration="${ff#*Duration: }"

and do whatever you want with $duration, divide by 2 and you should have your 50%

filegasm

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
paypal1352 said:
i think this will work

$file=$(ffmpeg -i $localFile 2>&1)
$duration="${ff#*Duration: }"

and do whatever you want with $duration, divide by 2 and you should have your 50%
I don't get it. Can you please elaborate that code above and what each variable does/represents? I'm thinking about knowing how to make ffmpeg output the total video duration by seconds into a variable so I can substitute it to the 'define' function.

define("SCREENSHOT_SECONDS", $duration );

And I want to know if that code above would actually worked on your site, since I don't want to test it in the live site without being sure.

paypal1352

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Mar 2, 2012
I'm not gonna have time to test this anytime soon unfortunately, but as far as I can tell it should work, i got the code from stackoverflow

ffmpeg -i $localFile 2>&1

this gets a whole bunch of info on the file with path stored in $localFile
and $duration="${ff#*Duration: }" isolates the duration, which is what you're looking for,

i believe this will give you a format like this for ex 01:50:04 or something like that, so you'd have to take that variable and divide it by 2 (not literally), i'm not well versed enough in php to tell you how to divide time, but i know theres a whole bunch of ways to do it.