Media Converter dont convert lower bitrate vs setting

pilot830

YetiShare User
Jan 22, 2014
if in convert.php i have 2000k as my bitrate setting for CONVERT_BITRATE.. and a user uploads a video that is 750k bitrate

I could be wrong, but does it make sense that the media converter should convert a video that is lower bitrate, to a higher bitrate ??

I'm thinking it doesnt.. and if im right -- i request that the media converter be modified so that it obtains the bitrate of the video using ffmpeg or ffprobe

then determines the bitrate of the video VS the CONVERT_BITRATE setting and sets CONVERT_BITRATE to the same bitrate as the video..

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
+1, i have seen this when a user uploads lower quality video and it gets converted, sometimes its about double the size of what was uploaded so yes this would be a nice option to have...

ruslan5467

YetiShare User
Oct 16, 2015
+1
And I would suggest to develop more complex algorithms to convert video depending on screen size and bitrate. For example, if user upload a file with 1280x720 Media converter should use 1400 kbps but in case of media frame size 640x480 it should encode with 800 kbps.
So in admin settings of plugin we should have an array with desired frame size and bitrate