How to play mkv or avi using html5 player

jasonPaddy

YetiShare User
Jan 21, 2016
Hi Support,

I have often encounted many media files which come with mkv or avi extension which actually contains h.264 with AVC and ACC codec.
These files are literally mp4 files which can be played directly via html5.

Is there a way to configure media_player to play them?

Cheers,
Jason

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
just with mediaplayer plugin, you cant. unless you make changes the plugin and add mkv in the list.
If you have mediaconverter, you can set it to convert to mp4 and then your html player will play it just fine.

jasonPaddy

YetiShare User
Jan 21, 2016
sukhman21 said:
just with mediaplayer plugin, you cant. unless you make changes the plugin and add mkv in the list.
If you have mediaconverter, you can set it to convert to mp4 and then your html player will play it just fine.
Thanks sukman21,
These files are already mp4 files, just different container(avi/mkv). It's a waste of resource to convert them to mp4(h.264).

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
not sure how your videos were converted but i would still convert them using faststart and other stuff in ffmpeg for better streaming.
If no, you could still make some changes to your mediaplayer code and add mkv file option in there, i believe (i may be wrong. maybe someone with more coding experience can verify this)

filegasm

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
There's no way an mkv file is the same as an mp4 file. They're different container formats. Maybe what you're saying is that they're already in h264/aac formats but muxed in mkv container. AFAIK there's an option to define mkv as a media format, and html5 players should never have any problems playing them provided that you defined mkv in your mime types as a video.

donnywahyudi874705

YetiShare User
Jan 31, 2015
you need to modify the script to use divx plugin or vlc web player. it actually works in my site eventhough a bit laggy with FF. also chrome doesn't allow npapi anymore.

jasonPaddy

YetiShare User
Jan 21, 2016
i did some digging and found a solution to play h.264 mkv files using hmtl5 player