Geo-upload plugin

paypal1352

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Mar 2, 2012
For the geo upload plugin i'm considering buying it as I have future plans to basically have a server on every continent, however here are my thoughts/questions on this subject, I invite all the experts (which is everyone but me) to give their valuable opinions

1. If a user from germany for example uploads a file, it would upload to their set server in the options, lets assume in this case its also germany, uploads are fast and thats great,

now lets say someone from canada tries to download the file it would be slower compared to if the file was in the default storage in the USA. Is there anyway around this? (copying files between servers on demand maybe, but can this be done fast enough in the background or will the user have to wait etc..)

2. Throw vpn's into the mix and all the country options get thrown out as they dont matter anymore, while i have no idea if this is possible, could something be developed where it not only relies on ip to determine location but also a combination of a ping latency/traceroute to the persons browser in a non invasive way, ultimately we're not looking to find out the users address but just what country theyre in to determine what server to send them to, if this will work, dont tell netflix, we'll keep it as a ys family secret :cool:

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
I don't understand what you are trying to say with the vpn thing.

I think you are mistaken speed with latency. Downloading from a server far away doesn't mean you download bandwidth will be low, it just mean your latency will be higher.

The main reason of having servers in multiple countries is taking advantage of exchange points (IXs), and exchange point is a place where multiple ISPs are connected and you can get free peering to all of them. It's basically free internet. If you rent an office close to one IX in a big city with about 10million users around you can connect your office to the local IX and every one of those 10million users would be able to download from your server in maximum speed. As far as I know most of the IXs are free and any company can connect to them.