EXE file uploading problem

joelfcarvalho3427

YetiShare User
Jan 7, 2014
Hello.

I've experimented a strange error when uploading certain .EXE files and I can't figure out what it could be causing it. What is happening is that EXE files will only upload if the filename have a space on it. Otherwise aborts with the error "ERROR: There was a server problem when attempting the upload, please try again later."
Let me illustrate:

"filename.exe" aborts upload before finishing
"file name.exe" uploads correctly
"filename.ex_" uploads correctly

The above is always the same file, just renamed. This only happens to EXE files, at least that I have detected.
Do you have any idea?

Thank you.

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
Hi,

This is strange. There's nothing in the script which would cause it as far as I'm aware. At least, there's nothing checking for exe files specifically. I'd have a look at what server restrictions you may have. i.e. is mod security blocking files with .exe extension? Ask your host if there's any mod security logs or Apache logs which may help.

Regards,
Adam.

joelfcarvalho3427

YetiShare User
Jan 7, 2014
Hi there.

Well it is true, the limitation is server side. Due to hosting security policies, the upload of .exe is disabled. Yet I don't know why I actually can upload .exe as long as the filename as a space on it, as demonstrated above.
And, I can't find a good reason why such restriction is in place by the hosting. An .exe file is as dangerous on a linux webserver as any other filetype.

admin2102

YetiShare User
Jan 15, 2013
That is why I only allow compressed files on my hosting, I know it seems like a PITA but its actually safer but other than that I dont see why changing the file name allows them to be uploaded.