paypal1352

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Mar 2, 2012
Hello, It would be good to eventually add end to end encryption similar to mega

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
There are several issues with this idea.

- It wont prevent ilegal filesharing since the keys are shared with the links.
- The browser will need to download the entire file in memory to decrypt.
- Normal download managers will not support your links.

pilot830

YetiShare User
Jan 22, 2014
enricodias4654 said:

I think what the poster is getting at is that there are more and more file hosting sites that offer encryption, whereas yetishare offers none (as far as I can tell??).. So it makes it hard for us to compete w/ those sites.. so i agree with OP that yetishare script should start to have more encryption stuff

The stuff you're saying makes it sound like it wouldnt be do able.. so then how are the other sites doing it? mega isn't the only one that offers encryption

paypal1352

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Mar 2, 2012
enricodias4654 said:

i thought about this, the encryption in my opinion wouldn't be for the purpose of stopping illegal filesharing, illegal file sharing can be done with or without a file sharing script, if you have internet then you can illegally share files.

As for the browser needing to download the whole file, i dont know anything about this subject so I can't comment, when I tried mega files seem to download quickly, so i don't think its much of an issue

As for download managers, maybe a way around this would be to allow users to have an encrypted folder where only files they put in it would be encrypted or something along those lines.

Either way i think it would be best if this was developed as a plugin then people can choose to buy it if they want the feature.

pilot830 said:
I think what the poster is getting at is that there are more and more file hosting sites that offer encryption, whereas yetishare offers none (as far as I can tell??).. So it makes it hard for us to compete w/ those sites.. so i agree with OP that yetishare script should start to have more encryption stuff

The stuff you're saying makes it sound like it wouldnt be do able.. so then how are the other sites doing it? mega isn't the only one that offers encryption
Exactly what I was thinking

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
I've looked at this before and it's a HUGE job. To do it properly we'd need to allow for the file to be encrypted in the client browser, then uploaded. When it's downloaded, it would have to decrypted in the browser also. Getting this to work cross browser, for large files, without Flash and to be convenient for the user (as we'll need to prompt for keys somehow) is a lot of work.

The other downside is that the script can no longer read the files. So we can't show previews, convert videos, view documents, use download managers, play audio etc. It's really functionality limiting.

I can understand why it would be useful though so we might consider a striped down theme for it one day.

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
paypal1352 said:
i thought about this, the encryption in my opinion wouldn't be for the purpose of stopping illegal filesharing, illegal file sharing can be done with or without a file sharing script, if you have internet then you can illegally share files.
The idea behind mega was not being able to remove ilegal files since they would not have the keys to decrypt the files.

paypal1352 said:
As for the browser needing to download the whole file, i dont know anything about this subject so I can't comment, when I tried mega files seem to download quickly, so i don't think its much of an issue

As for download managers, maybe a way around this would be to allow users to have an encrypted folder where only files they put in it would be encrypted or something along those lines.
The file needs to be downloaded into memory. If you have a 8gb file your browser will use 8gb ram and you can't close your browser and resume the download latter. Normal file managers won't work since those links are not normal links.

Your folder idea is even worse. In that case the filehost would have the encryption keys and then the files are not secure at all.

pilot830 said:

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's not a good thing. I don't know any other filehost using encryption like mega and mega itself is not so popular.

adam said:
I've looked at this before and it's a HUGE job. To do it properly we'd need to allow for the file to be encrypted in the client browser, then uploaded. When it's downloaded, it would have to decrypted in the browser also. Getting this to work cross browser, for large files, without Flash and to be convenient for the user (as we'll need to prompt for keys somehow) is a lot of work.

The other downside is that the script can no longer read the files. So we can't show previews, convert videos, view documents, use download managers, play audio etc. It's really functionality limiting.

I can understand why it would be useful though so we might consider a striped down theme for it one day.
I agree, that's a huge job and don't worth the investment. There is also need to make a javascript downloader to run in the browser with options to pause, resume, open multiple connections and etc. Uploads would need to be done the same way and remote uploads would not be possible.

The keys on mega are in the urls. People using mega are not taking advantage of the encryption. Most of them are using it just because it was made by kim.

paypal1352

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Mar 2, 2012
You guys brought up many things I wasn't aware of, doesn't sound like it's worth it at all