Captcha in the admin login

paypal1352

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Mar 2, 2012
just change the admin folder name and path in the config file and strip all info from the page itself that its an admin login, and if somehow someone finds it they wouldnt know what the login is for

i dont know if this would work, couldnt you just delete the admin folder and upload it only when you need it, then delete it again when you're done, i dont think its needed for the script to run

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
paypal1352 said:
just change the admin folder name and path in the config file and strip all info from the page itself that its an admin login, and if somehow someone finds it they wouldnt know what the login is for

i dont know if this would work, couldnt you just delete the admin folder and upload it only when you need it, then delete it again when you're done, i dont think its needed for the script to run
You can't delete the admin folder, cron tasks are inside it. Renaming it will just make the attacker take a little longer to figure out the new name. The attacker will assume that a strange login screen is the admin.

As I have fixed ips on my company I restricted the access using .htaccess, but for the people that can't do this captcha is the best option.

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
for my website, i have my admin folder name changed to something random and updated in config file as mentioned by paypal1352. Just out of curiosity, how would attackers still be able to get my admin login page URL?
Personally i haven't seen any attacks on my admin page so far.

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
sukhman21 said:
for my website, i have my admin folder name changed to something random and updated in config file as mentioned by paypal1352. Just out of curiosity, how would attackers still be able to get my admin login page URL?
Personally i haven't seen any attacks on my admin page so far.
They can guess it, use brute force or dictionary attacks and etc.

Few months ago I managed to download a .DS_Store file from a website who was hiding the admin folder and with this file I managed to get the file structure from his website and find the admin url. This is just a silly example.