Changing admin path

ryan2179

YetiShare User
Feb 5, 2013
I installed a script tracking to see if anyone has accessed /admin. I found it was accessed by 3 other IP's and I've only had the site up for a few days. Obviously the password was changed as soon as I installed it so no one can get in it, but for security reasons is it possible to change the admin path of the script and not affect the site/ script itself?

Right now I'm running a .htaccess script that disallows all IP's exept for mine and someone who is working with my but it sucked when earlier today I tried accessing it from my phone on the go and I didn't have access :lol:

Just thought I ask before I attempt it and cause any damage.
Thanks,
Ryan

ryan2179

YetiShare User
Feb 5, 2013
Thanks just wanted to make sure that was all before doing it. some things require changes elsewhere if I change it.

ysmods

Jan 29, 2013
UK
www.ysmods.com
You also have to edit _footer.php

Find:
Code:
echo '<strong>[ <a href="' . WEB_ROOT . '/admin/" target="_blank">' . t('admin_area', 'admin area') . '</a> ]</strong><br/><br/>';
Edit the /admin/ part to your new admin directory name.

For added security you could remove this code from _footer.php

Code:
<?php
if (($Auth->loggedIn() == true) && ($Auth->level == 'admin'))
{
    echo '<strong>[ <a href="' . WEB_ROOT . '/admin/" target="_blank">' . t('admin_area', 'admin area') . '</a> ]</strong><br/><br/>';
}
?>
You can also use .htpasswd to protect the directory for double password entry.

And for even more added security, If you're on a static IP (IP that never changes) you could create a file in your admin directory, name it .htaccess and put the following into it.

Code:
##############################################
# Replace 12.34.56.78 with your IP address
order deny,allow
allow from 12.34.56.78
deny from all

shopping1782

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Reservo User
Sep 12, 2012
Btw if you do the .htaccess thing I would rather recommend protecting only the login page like this:
Code:
# Replace 12.34.56.78 with your IP address
<Files login.php>
order deny,allow
allow from 12.34.56.78
deny from all
</Files>
Because the broader range as suggested above disables translations (or at least its images) so if you are using them - beware.

Are there some other very important files apart from this one which will be probably bruteforced?

ysmods

Jan 29, 2013
UK
www.ysmods.com
I noticed, that if you have any plugins installed, the admin side not work until you change the following line in each of the files in the plugins admin folder

Code:
include_once('../../../admin/_local_auth.inc.php');
Change the "admin" section to whatever your admin directory is named

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
yetisharemods said:
I noticed, that if you have any plugins installed, the admin side not work until you change the following line in each of the files in the plugins admin folder

Code:
include_once('../../../admin/_local_auth.inc.php');
Change the "admin" section to whatever your admin directory is named
Iv'e changed this for the next release so the admin path isn't hard coded in any of the plugins. :)