Urgent help please

iguanashare4743

YetiShare User
Feb 7, 2015
Urgente please.

Am moving to a new server , i want to move my site threw cpanel , The problem is on my current server i don't have enough space to make a backup , so my question is :

if i download the FOLDER ( FILES ) to my desktop and delete it from FTP . Then do a backup and move my site to the new server , then re-upload the FOLDER ( FILES ) to the new server .

will files still work ? or ill loose everything ?

paypal1352

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Mar 2, 2012
ya I think you should be good doing that, you may need to retweak apache and things like that if you have any custom setups,

I highly recommend you don't delete anything until you've made sure it all works at the destination though

Does cpanel have any kind of full website backups including databases, i'd imagine it does, last time I used cpanel it was so feature packed it looked like it controlled the international space station. Thats partly why I like plesk, but unfortunately plesk causes a whole set of issues that make things hard sometimes.

iguanashare4743

YetiShare User
Feb 7, 2015
i think the full backup will take care of the cpanel .

but am worried that if i download folder ( files ) to my desktop then re-upload it back it will give errors , so i hope that someone can give me a hint

paypal1352

YetiShare User
Wurlie User
Mar 2, 2012
Shit didn't even think of files and folders, i think you should be fine, I hope you have a fast internet connection

Plesk has an option to backup a site to a ftp location directly, if cpanel has this you may be able to skip downloading everything to your computer and put it all onto your new server directly, it may take a while still but at least its 1 step and all automated

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
iguanashare4743 said:
Urgente please.

Am moving to a new server , i want to move my site threw cpanel , The problem is on my current server i don't have enough space to make a backup , so my question is :

if i download the FOLDER ( FILES ) to my desktop and delete it from FTP . Then do a backup and move my site to the new server , then re-upload the FOLDER ( FILES ) to the new server .

will files still work ? or ill loose everything ?
Yes, it will work but you will have to change the chmod of all files to 777 otherwise the script will not be able to delete them.

You can also transfer those files directly to your new server using rsync or scp in ssh.

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
paypal1352 said:
Shit didn't even think of files and folders, i think you should be fine, I hope you have a fast internet connection

Plesk has an option to backup a site to a ftp location directly, if cpanel has this you may be able to skip downloading everything to your computer and put it all onto your new server directly, it may take a while still but at least its 1 step and all automated
The cpanel option to backup to an external location just moves the backup file. It compresses it locally and them uploads to the external location. It wont work if you don't have enough free space.

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
i did this in the past and it worked. i used rsync over SSH instead of full backup as my website is couple TBs....