Jan 27, 2016
www.jetload.tv
Hello,

I have server with the following specs

CPU: 2 x E5-2440
Ram: 64GB DDR3
HDD: 8TB
2GBPS dedicated connection with un-metered Bandwidth

there is high traffic on our website around 22,000 + visitors at every second of the day.

Right now we are getting problem during video conversion.
2 videos converting load is +20 and if there is no video is being converted then our server load is no more then 1 or 2
also ffmpeg conversion is very slow.
any idea how can I optimize ffmpeg conversion ? or do I need more CPU power.

PS: if I start 3 conversions at the same time then server load goes to 30 which results in Nginx to go down.

NOTE: I am ready to pay if some one can fix this problem

Dear Adam,
if you can optimize our server or can fix this ffmpeg conversion problem I will pay you for it.

Regards

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
congratulations if you are getting 22000+ visitors every second.
Now for the issue:
First of all, it is a BAD idea to use 1 server for everything specially if you have that many visitors. Your 1 server is doing a lot of tasks here.

Personal suggestion (maybe someone else has even better solution than me)
I would suggest having such CPU power dedicated for just the conversions and then your website hosted on another server with the same amount of RAM you have on this one.
Doesnt have to expensive. so i would break it down to 3 cheaper servers in total: 1 for website + some files hosted on it (if you want, i would have a SSD with lots of RAM only for the website), 1 high power server for conversion and then multiple small servers or VPS's as fileservers.
i understand you have 2GBPS dedicated line but if you are streaming a lot of videos (to so many visitors), your users are probably experiencing slow buffering, etc. so i would go with multiple smaller fileservers

If you want to keep your existing configuration:
FFMPEG uses threads so you can put in 50% of your threads for the conversion so its not using the full power.... FFMPEG does require a lot of resources if you want to convert your videos faster. it also depends on the length of the video and the fps, bitrate, etc, etc.

wrestletube5692

YetiShare User
Jan 27, 2016
www.jetload.tv
Adam ?
can you please reply us on forum or on tickets
I have send you ticket and since 2 days no reply from you or from any yetishare staff
ticket ref 20224