Some questions about the external server and affection on Disk space and Bandwidth

nickston846496

YetiShare User
Mar 29, 2017
Hello
I have rent an external server from time4vps and set some rules of that visitors will upload their data into the Time4vps server. The data the admin will still be sent to the main server. Are there anyone know the answers for the following questions?
- If the data from the Time4vps is downloaded, the Bandwidth is counted on the main server or just the Time4vps server?
- My main server is almost full, I therefore moved some big size from the main server to the Time4vps server. However, the disk space of the main server is still full even moving process in completed 100%.
Thank you guys!

chatgyi

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Aug 20, 2017
- If you use Time4vps as an external server (Direct Storage), it will not effect on main site and only effect on external server (Time4vps) such as bandwidth, CPU etc...

- I have no idea how you have moved files from main server to external file server.
I would recommend you to transfer directly from SSH using rsync. Here is tutorial >> https://support.mfscripts.com/public/kb_view/23/
The tutorial is for transfering files from an external file server to an another external file server.
But I think it will also work for transferring files from main server to an external file server.

P.S - Please note that I have already asked Time4vps about DMCA and they don't ignore DMCA. So be careful for DMCA issue and your server will be shut down for some reasons.

Good Luck!

nickston846496

YetiShare User
Mar 29, 2017
Well
Thank you so much for your very kind and useful response.
I just go to Manage Servers > Manage Files Server > Select the main server > move File one by one to the Time4vps > The process then is done in Action Queue.
The targeted files then is moved completely to Time4vps, however, the free disk space remains the same. I also face the same problem when I upload the file directly to Time4vps through Php upload from web-browser, after the uploading is complete, the disk on main server is dominated exactly the size of the uploaded file. It seems the system does not remove completed the image of files after accomplished processes. Do you have any idea about this? Is this relative to Cron task?
And do you have an recommendation for the external Server service?
Thank you

chatgyi

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Aug 20, 2017
I don't have any experience of file transferring the way you used.

According to files transfer instruction, server ID must be updated after transferring files are completed.
It seems you have only copied files to Time4vps and and haven't deleted the files from main server.
So you have all files in both main server and Time4vps (doubled).

Before deleting the files in main server, you need to make sure all files are working well in Time4vps or not.
After moving files from main server to Time4vps, you also need to update your database.

Please check your server IDs named "id" under the database table "file_server" in Site Configuration >> System Tools >> Database Browser.
Let's say your main server (Loacal Default) ID is "1" and Time4vps server ID is "2".

Then you need to update all "serverId" roles from "1" to "2" (Loacl Default server ID to Time4vps server ID).

You may update "serverId" manually one by one in "file", "file_action" tables etc...
If you have hundred or thousand of files, it is not easy to update manually and it will take more times to do that.
So I would recommend to use phpMyadmin and update all "serverId" using the following command.

UPDATE file SET serverId = NEW_SERVER_ID WHERE serverId = OLD_SERVER_ID;

For example - UPDATE file SET serverId = 2 WHERE serverId = 1;
(1 is your main server ID and 2 is Time4vps server ID)

Then check all files are working correctly or not. (such as downloading file)
If everyting is working well, you can delete all files from your main server and you will get more free spaces for main server.

======

For uploading problem, try to set main server (Local Default) to "disabled". In that way, further file uploading will not be in your main server anymore.
If it is not working, try to check all Cron tasks are correct or not.

======

For file server recommendation,
Online.Net (Unmetered Bandwidth at 500Mbps to 1Gbps port speed) but only big server available at the moment. (starting from 79.99 Euro)
https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server

OVH , most of the people says OVH is good but I have never used it.

Now I am using server from https://www.leaseweb.com/ but do not buy directly from them because of default bandwidth limit is only 10 TB to 20 TB. It may not enough bandwidth for file server. Also a bit expensive and less diskspaces.
Try to find Leaseweb.com reseller and you will get 100 TB bandwidth and more diskspaces with resonable prices.

Here are some of Leaseweb.com resellers;
https://www.eqservers.com/
http://redswitches.com/

You will get 12TB HDD and 100TB bandwidth with around $70/mo.

I hope the above information will help you a little.
You can also contact to admin via contact form and you may get help from him. :)

nickston846496

YetiShare User
Mar 29, 2017
@medialann6698: Thank you so much for your help. Your information does help me so much.
- I know can manually delete each file by the direction (such as: public_html/files/41/413ce1aae91982a7950bc288afbdca39) through the List Of File Actions under Manage File Action Queue.
- I have just checked the cron functions, and I think they still work well since the client user is still downgraded on time.
The thing is public_html/files/* is under 0777 permission mode. Is this the reason that the system can not delete the files which were moved to external servers completely? I manually run php /home/sundrydata/public_html/admin/tasks/delete_redundant_files.cron.php >> /dev/null 2>&1 under root access, but the file is not deleted after moving.
Thank you,

chatgyi

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Aug 20, 2017
I don't have an experience with moving files from main server to direct server (external server).

Moving file is just move the files. The files will be in old server (main server) too,

You should do the following steps.
1) move files from main server to direct server.
2) update file server ID in database
3) test download and upload files
4) if everything is working fine, delete all files from main server and set main server (Default) to "Disabled".
For files deletion, it is better to do via SSH using command like [rm -rf /XXX/public_html/files/*] Maybe you should keep .htaccess in /files

After you updated file server ID in database, files in old server is nothing to do with downloading and uploading.
It will be on new server and you should delete all files from old server.