Can't upload large files due to error

tommycharleon6602

Jun 9, 2017
error: Failed creating tmp storage folder for chunked uploads. Ensure the parent folder has write permissions:

upload folder is on another drive.

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
Does the parent folder have write permissions?

tommycharleon6602

Jun 9, 2017
which parent?

for example if my path is mnt/home2/extwebsitedir/files2

in this case, extwebsitedir directory is owned by mywebsite:mywebsite and has permissions 755

home2 in this case is owned by root:root with permissions 755 (mywebsite perm not allowed that far up)

tommycharleon6602

Jun 9, 2017
Actually, turns out the error was thrown for path home/mysite.com/files/_tmp/

It appears that the bug occurred because I moved out /files/ out of the root installation folder.

Problem was solved by adding back in the folder /files/ even though it is empty. Apparently script cannot function properly without that folder, no problem. Will just keep the empty folder there since it is mandatory.

Looks like this solves the problem because I do not see that error now. The large file completed successfully. Appears /files/ folder in root of installation is required even if empty.

I am very fortunate I discovered this problem by accident only shortly after moving the /files/ directory.

-- Marked Solved --

Solution: Add a /files/ folder into installation directory.

User Notes:
* It can be empty and does not have to be used in any file server. It only needs to exist.
* It does not matter which drive you are using, it still needs to have /files/ folder in root installation.
* /files/ folder needs to exist in the root of the yeti installation where config.inc.php resides; else, _tmp cannot be used, causing script problems.

Developer Notes:
* Problem could be remedied by script using an alternate location if /files/ directory does not exist in installation directory.
* Alternatively, script can recreate the /files/ folder automatically. (Not recommended as it may annoy some users, myself included.)
* Recommended alternate location: /core/ folder if /files/ does not exist.