ftp application does not work, cannot install proftpd

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommycharleon6602

Jun 9, 2017
I have CentOS 6 x64.

I cannot install proftpd as per your instructions on the site. CentOS tells me "no packages available". I have all repos available, it seems the proftpd is not an available package anymore.

------------------------

Also on the front end I get the error on the ftp tab:

Code:
FTP ERROR: Failed connecting to (mysite) via FTP.
I am using the correct info in the settings page.

Please be aware that on my server I have a custom port and SFTP is the only thing allowed (ftp disabled, only SFTP allowed).
For example in filezilla I put in my custom port and use sftp.

I did go ahead and change the 21 in the plugin files to my custom port number in two places. However, that did not fully solve the problem as ftp plugin still gives same error.

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
Hi,

If you're using SFTP then it wont work. Although SFTP sounds like FTP it's actually very different. You would need to use FTP for the plugin.

It just sounds like you don't have the repo available. The following may help:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-proftpd-on-centos-6

Thanks,
Adam.

tommycharleon6602

Jun 9, 2017
Sorry but I do not understand you, it sounds like you're saying two different things. Please clarify:

If you're using SFTP then it wont work.
What won't work - proftpd or yeti ftp plugin?

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-proftpd-on-centos-6
I tried that a couple days ago at that link already. It doesn't work. Actually I spent hours looking for a way to get the repo but unfortunately proftpd is missing from all the repos now and this tutorial is deprecated.

If you can give me a line of ssh to add a working repo that would be great. I could not find any.

You would need to use FTP for the plugin.
You're going to need to clarify this. Are you saying I don't need proftpd and I can do it a different way? Please clarify how I can get the ftp plugin working (with SFTP on a custom port).

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
SFTP wont work with YetiShare, the plugin is a FTP plugin.

The guidance we have installs proftpd fine in all instances I've found, if it's not found on the repo your server is using you'll need to add one. Sorry but it's a requirement of the script that proftpd is installed but it's something you will need your server management company to arrange if you can't. If you don't have managed servers you'll need to speak with a server admin that understands adding repos etc.

tommycharleon6602

Jun 9, 2017
SFTP is a form of FTP, by the way. For example I have an FTP application, filezilla for which I perform FTP operations. Except, I always use SFTP. It's still called FTP.

So you are saying that your plugin is incompatible with my server? FTP is insecure and not recommended to be enabled on a server. SFTP makes for a more secure server.

How can we remedy this issue since your plugin does not work for all forms of FTP?

tommycharleon6602

Jun 9, 2017
Additionally, you said proftpd is required. However, proftpd is no longer available. There is no way to add this into my server. None of the repos contain proftpd.

Please be aware I am the server admin. You cannot tell me to talk to another person, I am the only one to talk to. I am not having problems due to a knowledge issue. The issue is your script is not working and has prerequisites that no longer exist.

tommycharleon6602

Jun 9, 2017
It seems that your plugin works neither for FTP nor SFTP, and in any case I need SFTP and assumed your script was universal and not only for a handful of configurations.

As a result I cannot use the FTP plugin as it does not work, and you are saying it is unsupported. I would like a refund for ftp plugin. In the future I would consider repurchasing if you add sftp support and eliminate unavailable prerequisites (or update to available prerequisites, while still adding the required SFTP support).

Thank you.

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
As mentioned above, FTP is completely different to SFTP. The plugin is a FTP plugin, it does not support SFTP. SFTP uses the SSH protocol where FTP uses TCP/IP. You can read more about the differences here:

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/internet/difference-between-ftp-and-sftp/

I understand why SFTP is better, if you could turn on a flag to enable SFTP I would tell you how, but it's just not possible. The only thing similar is the name unfortunately.

tommycharleon6602

Jun 9, 2017
Will you upgrade the plugin to work with all ftp protocols including sftp, in the future?

In the meantime, please refund for ftp plugin since it does not work.

adam

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2009
No there's no plans to include sftp with the plugin. The ftp plugin works fine as you can see on our demo site. If you'd like to discuss this further please raise a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.