Keeping the database small to save disk space

rmeguiso5643

YetiShare User
Jan 1, 2016
I really want to save some space on my server. And I'm also having an error backing up a very huge database on the admin area. My server keeps on getting down when i am doing it. Is it safe to clear the download_tracker table in the database from time to time?

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
look at auto_prune.cron.php file, tweak that according to the amount of data you want to keep and you should be able to reduce your database size from there on.

rmeguiso5643

YetiShare User
Jan 1, 2016
i have a 2tb database right now, but it keeps on getting bigger because of the stats and download_tracker

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
2tb? Do you mean 2gb? 2gb is normal, 2tb is huge.

The download_tracker data should be deleted or archived on a regular basis. The stats table you can tweek to increase the performance and reduce the disk usage. But again, your server should not go down when you backup large databases.

sukhman21

YetiShare User
YetiShare Supporter
Jan 26, 2015
Why dont you backup your download_tracker table and then just empty it. This wont hurt your site.

enricodias4654

YetiShare User
Jan 13, 2015
rmeguiso5643 said:
it's 2tb. so the download_tracker is not important? is it okay to delete them?
If it is really 2tb, you are doing something very wrong. (or you have millions os users, making millions in revenue)

Old records download_tracker table can be deleted. Deleting actual records may cause errors in the current downloads. The laws of many countries require websites to keep their logs for some time, so I would not advise you to delete everything.